Why I Walked Away from a Classic Car Purchase with Italy Car SRLS
Why I Walked Away from a Classic Car Purchase with Italy Car SRLS
I was genuinely interested in buying a classic car from Italy Car SRLS and had reached the point where I was prepared to pay a deposit. The car was seen on https://italycar-srls.com/
Then I received the deposit invoice.
That was where things started to unravel.
The invoice I received had no physical business address on it. More concerning, the bank account I was being asked to send the deposit to appeared to be in the name of the owner's wife — not Italy Car SRLS.
Considering I was being asked to transfer money internationally for a car I had not yet seen, I decided not to send the deposit until I could satisfy myself that everything was in order.
I informed Alberto that I had not sent the money, whilst he was on holiday for 2 weeks.
His response included this extraordinary sentence:
“I am not prepared to provide any sensitive information before a deposit has been made.”
Sorry, but that's completely backwards.
You want me to send you money before you'll provide the information I need to establish exactly who I am dealing with and where my money is going?
No.
I was then told there was another customer coming to view the car on Monday and that the vehicle couldn't be held indefinitely while I made my decision. So why ask for the deposit? No mention of this other buyer until now!
The classic “someone else is interested” countdown.
That's absolutely fine.
Sell it to them.
For me, buying a classic car internationally requires trust. If I'm expected to transfer a deposit before viewing the vehicle, I expect the seller to be completely transparent about the business receiving my money.
A proper business address on an invoice isn't an unreasonable request.
Being able to establish why I'm being asked to transfer money to an account apparently belonging to an individual rather than the company selling me the car isn't an unreasonable request either.
And asking questions BEFORE sending the money certainly isn't unreasonable.
To be completely clear, I am not accusing Italy Car SRLS, Alberto, or anyone else involved of fraud. I have no evidence to make that allegation.
I can only review my own experience.
And my experience was this:
I was asked to send an international deposit.
The invoice didn't contain a physical business address.
The payment account appeared to be in the owner's wife's name rather than the company's.
When I wanted further reassurance before paying, I was told that “sensitive information” wouldn't be provided until AFTER I had paid a deposit.
Then I was reminded another buyer was waiting.
At that point my wallet developed an extremely strong survival instinct.
I walked away.
Maybe the car is fantastic. Maybe the other buyer will purchase it on Monday and be delighted with it.
I genuinely hope they are.
But there's a very simple rule when buying an expensive classic car hundreds of miles away:
If you're uncomfortable before you've sent the money, sending the money probably isn't going to make you feel any better.
Sometimes the most valuable feature on a classic car isn't matching numbers, low mileage or immaculate paintwork.
It's reverse gear.
Comments
Post a Comment